The time for the ReadAThon is here! I am home from work and will be starting to read as soon as this goes live. I have my snacks, my drink and my stack all set and ready to go. See you guys in an hour or two! I will be updating on twitter (@RebeccaMaynard) so feel free to follow me throughout this endeavour. I will be starting with Cress by Marrissa Meyer; I have about 150 pages to go before I’m finished. Good luck everyone!
Update One – 3:30pm
Woohoo! It’s been about 2 hours since I first posted this update and I just finished reading Cress and omg cannot wait until Winter comes out! What a cliffhanger, haha. I’m feeling good so far and I’m excited to start Rebel Belle in a few minutes.
Pages read since last update: 152
Pages read in total: 152
# hours spend reading: 2 hours
1st Mini Challenge!
I’m going to do the Hour Six Mini Challenge hosted by Lisa’s World of Books here, just for fun and a little break after 2 hours of reading. The challenge is to choose 3 of the given topics and write about them!
Best Setting of your reading year: I think so far, I’ve really really loved the setting in the lunar chronicles. I really like the futuristic elements of our current countries and the fact that there are people on the moon!!
Best children’s book of your reading year: I have really only read a couple children’s books all from the same series, so this is kind of cheating, haha. I really loved the Survivors series by Erin Hunter. They’re just so…fun and dramatic and action packed. Love it!
Best main character of your reading year: Lets face it, Katniss is great, haha. I re-read the series just this month and I really fell in love with her all over again. She’s so spunky and feisty!
I’ve been snacking on some Cheddar popcorn from Target so far (deelish) and had some iced tea to drink but that’s about it. Talk to you guys in a bit.
Update Two – 6:45pm
It’s been quite a few hours since my last update! Unfortunately, I’m reading a lot slower than I thought I would be but that’s okay. Still have half a readathon to go! I was starting to get really exhausted at one point and was falling asleep with the book in my hands so I had a little 20 minute nap and felt kind of sick when I woke up. I ended up eating dinner and now I feel much better, if a little tired still. I have to go into work around 7-7:30 so that will cut a bit of my reading time out – ah well. Hopefully I can at least get through Rebel Belle tonight.
Pages read since last update: 120
Pages read in total: 272
# hours spent reading: 4 hours
Mini Challenge #2 – First Editions hosted by The Bluestocking Society
This was a really cool challenge, if a little confusing but hey, I’m tired, haha.
Here’s the image of the copywright page of Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. If I’m not mistaken, it’s a first edition – whoohoo!
See you guys in my next update!
Update Three – 10:30 pm
Woohoo, the past few hours have been good! Eating dinner really seemed to energize me and I got a second wind. I’m really enjoying the readathon so far and the cheerleaders are just great! I’m so glad to have them around and cheering everyone on. It’s really nice to come back to a couple comments. I managed to finish Rebel Belle while I was gone, which was great.
Pages read since last update: 225
Pages read in total: 500 pages!
# hours read: 6 1/2 hours read
I know I’m super late but I’m going to do the Mid-Event Survey for you guys.
1. What are you reading right now?
- I actually just finished Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins so I will be moving onto Into the Wild (Warriors #1) by Erin Hunter
2. How many books have you read so far?
I finished the last 150 pages of Cress and all of Rebel Belle. I guess I’ve technically read one book but I’ve finished two.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
- Hmm…I don’t know actually. I plan to mostly read the Warriors series now, so I guess I’m excited to be re-reading them!
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
- No, I had to work unfortunately and missed out on the first 6 hours or so of the readathon, but I really wanted to participate regardless.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
- So far, only to go back to work for a half hour (take care of some boarding animals) and bathroom breaks! I’ve been pretty good so far.
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
- That I’m still really interested in reading! I thought that I might get bored after a while but nope, still really enjoying it.
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
- Hmmm….nothing that I can think of at the moment. It’s been really great for me so far! I would have to really think about anything.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
- I will for sure be doing it again next year and I think I will get healthier snacks as well as some junkier ones. I think it might help me feel a little more refreshed instead of kind of yucky, like I feel now.
9. Are you getting tired yet?
- Oh yeah! I’ve started on the cups of tea, haha. It’s getting late here, but I’m going to try and stay up for as long as I can!
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
- I’ve mostly just been following the advice I’ve seen from other who have done this readathon before. Nothing special so far.
Thanks for visiting the blog today, guys! Hope you’re all having a great readathon as well.
Final Update – The Next Day
I ended up falling asleep around 1am here, but I’m not sure what hour that was. I was so exhausted and falling asleep while I was reading. The last chapter was bad, haha. I kept falling asleep halfway through each page and had to reread it after. I am pretty proud with what I accomplished!
Total Pages Read: 674 pages!
# Books Read: I finished one book, read one and got halfway through another.
Total # Hours Read: 9 hours!
I am really proud of myself for this, I thought I wouldn’t be able to get that much done. I have no idea how people manage to read all 24 hours! I think that will be a future goal, haha. I also really want to thank #TeamWordsworth – they really gave me some encouragement when I was starting to give up and I was able to go for another couple hours! Thank you to all the cheerleaders, you were all great!
I can’t wait until the fall for the next readathon!